Inspired Story: Mahatma Gandhi goes shopping

After he had won independence for India, Mahatma Gandhi visited England. He was walking through the streets of London with some other people when his attention was drawn to the shop window of a famous jeweller’s.


Gandhi stood there studying the precious stones and the exquisitely made jewellery. The owner of the shop recognised him at once and came out into the street to greet him.

‘I am greatly honoured by your presence here, looking at our work. We have many objects of immense value, beauty and artistry and we would like to give you something.’

‘Yes, I’m amazed by all these marvellous things,’ replied Gandhi. ‘And I’m even more surprised at myself, for, even knowing that I could receive a valuable present, I nevertheless can manage to live and be respected without the need of jewels.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GST: Nigerian Peoples and Culture authentic Summary easy to understand for student without stressing yourself